Dry Ice Module
Our technology, Dry Ice System equipment is using dry ice pellets for effective blasting agent. The main advantage of this cleaning method is that the dry ice pellets sublime completely after blasting. Only the removed soiling remains. This makes dry ice blasting a particularly effective, environmentally friendly cleaning method, which is not abrasive to the materials to be cleaned.
Dry ice is the solid form of carbon dioxide, or CO2 for short. Liquid CO2 is stored either in cylinders at ambient temperature under about 60 bar or in vacuum-insulated tanks at about -20c under 20-bar pressure. When liquid ice closely resembles normal water ice, but has very different properties:
- Dry ice contains no water.
- Its temperature remains constant at -78c.
- When energy is applied (e.g heat or energy released by impact), dry ice is directly converted into its gaseous state without liquefying first. This eliminates state without liquefying disposal measures, thus saving you money.
- Carbon dioxide is considered non-toxic.
- It is also non-flammable.
- The gas usually behaves as an inert substance; this means that there is no chemical reaction wit its environment.
- There is no liquid phase at any step of the cleaning process.
Advantages / Benefits
Faster, and therefore cheaper
Machines no longer need to be disassembled for cleaning, as in0line cleaning is often possible, cuts downtime to a minimum.
Dry ice pellets are no harder than plaster and change into gas the moment they hit surface, compare to conventional blasting media, the soft dry ice doesn’t cause wear to the substrate. In dry ice cleaning, the blasting pressure can be adjusted between 2 and 16 bar, thus adapting the aggressiveness of the process to the individual demand of the special cleaning job.
Dry ice can be an excellent replacement for corrosive and aggressive solvents – though without the harmful emissions. As this cleaning process doesn’t use water, a lot of expensive wastewater treatment measures are becoming obsolete. Sticky, elastic dirt is removed quickly and easily without leaving remnants of any blast-cleaning agent, thus eliminating additional cleanup and removal costs.
Dry ice blasting is a dry method of cleaning. Because the cleaning agent evaporates, there is no mixing with the removed contaminant. No water is released during the process. This eliminates a lot of problems when cleaning process units for water-sensitive products.